Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Bibliolatry 2

by Water in the Wilderness

"And moreover, because the Preacher was wise, he still taught the people knowledge; yes, he pondered and sought out and set in order many proverbs. The Preacher sought to find acceptable words; and what was written was upright - words of truth.

The words of the wise are like goads, and the words of scholars are like well-driven nails, given by one Shepherd. And further, my son, be admonished by these. Of making many books there is no end, and much study is wearisome to the flesh" (Ecclesiastes 12:9-12).


Bibliolatry: Extreme devotion to or concern with books.

Admonish:

To reprove gently.

To caution; warn.

To remind of an obligation or duty.


In a previous post, I looked at bibliolatry from the standpoint of exalting the Bible above the Lord. I established that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God, yet sometimes our love for it can surpass our devotion to God Himself. At this point, it is important to note that anything can become idolatrous, even the things of God. Although this is the most subtlest form of idolatry, we must understand its reality so that we are not taken captive by it.

"Little children, keep yourselves from idols" (1 John 5:21).


Books

Another form of bibliolatry is an excessive love of books. Our family knows this well, for we were involved in the Christian publishing/bookstore industry for years. We understood all too well what Solomon meant when he said that of the making of many books there is no end! What's even more amazing about this verse is that he penned it way before the printing press was invented!

My Testimony

In addition to being in the book industry, I have been an avid reader and lover of books in general. When I came to the Lord, I began reading every Christian book I could get my hands on. During that time, I became lost in bibliolatry and realized one morning that I didn't really know what I believed. I could talk the Christian doctrine, but it was still far from my heart. I knew I was born again, but something just wasn't right.

I sought the Lord and He lovingly prompted me to rid myself of my book collection. For a while I struggled, but eventually I got myself down to about 5 books. He said that was fine because they were reference books! It felt strange for a while, especially because i worked at a Christian bookstore!

Meanwhile, I began to see customer after customer consistently buying book after book depending on what struggle they were going through or what book was popular at the time. I observed the emptiness in the regulars who ended up maxing out their credit cards in hopes of finding comfort and direction, even knowledge, through the books. The Lord began to show me the sadness He felt in watching His sheep trying to lead themselves.

In this way, I began to understand why He had me get rid of my book collection. It wasn't that the books were wrong in themselves; it was that I was trying to lead myself through them. (Please do not take this as an exhortation to get rid of all your books. Book collections aren't bad; mine, however, had my heart. Be led of the Lord). Finally, I realized my longing was for Him and His implanted Word and nothing could fill it; not even books about Him.

As I learned to walk closely with Him, He began to Shepherd my soul and Oversee what I would read. At times I would be led to a certain book; He would lay on my heart, "Just read chapter 2." And that is how it has been ever since. There are times I read entire books; sometimes I just read a chapter or a page. I try to follow his leading at all times, for I have learned that He knows what is best for me.

"The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake" (Psalm 23:1-3).


There are times, however, where I've been interested in certain books outside of His will for me. In spite of the check in my spirit, I've gone to the library, brought them home, and begun reading. When I did this, I would notice a dryness in my spirit and my husband would kindly ask, "Do you think the Lord wants you reading that book?" Eventually, I would quit the book because He made it so uncomfortable for me. I got sick of dropping books back off at the library during these times and realized He knows what I need.

"Now therefore, listen to me, my children, For blessed are those who keep my ways. Hear instruction and be wise, And do not disdain it" (Proverbs 8:32, 33).


The Stronghold

Bibliolatry is a stronghold in the Body of Christ. Believers, especially American Christians, are drowning in its deluge. From conferences to "Bible studies" (in reality, book studies), church sermons, and the like, we are constantly bombarded by the temptation to lead ourselves through books. Similarly, Christian publishers vie for the next best seller in the same manner as do the secular publishers.

Please do not misunderstand what I am saying; it's not that books aren't of any value. It's that we each need to be led of the Lord as to what books we ought to be reading. Moreover, we cannot live on others' revelations. There must be a time in our lives where we begin to trust the Lord by allowing Him to Shepherd and Oversee us. In this respect, I am reminded of the parable of the wise and foolish virgins. It is as follows:

"Then the kingdom of heaven shall be likened to ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. Now five of them were wise, and five were foolish. Those who were foolish took their lamps and took no oil with them, but the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. But while the bridegroom was delayed, they all slumbered and slept.

And at midnight a cry was heard: 'Behold, the bridegroom is coming; go out to meet him! Then all those virgins arose and trimmed their lamps. And the foolish said to the wise, 'Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.'

But the wise answered, saying, 'No, lest there should not be enough for us and you; but go rather to those who sell, and buy for yourselves.' And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the wedding; and the door was shut.

Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, 'Lord, Lord, open to us!' But he answered and said, 'Assuredly, I say to you, I do not know you.' Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming" (Matthew 25:1-13).


When the Nazi's invaded Poland, they walked into the Polish people's houses and simply said, "Get out". The Polish were not able to take anything with them except a few clothes. The Nazi's then gave the Polish homes to the Germans, for their government now had control of them. What would you do if that situation were to happen to you today? All you would have is the clothes on your back. You wouldn't be allowed to have your Bible and book collection; it would now be property of the State. Could you manage in Christ alone?